One of the down-sides of the new cloud sharing platforms is that you often don’t have a backup other than the recycle bin. (Dropbox does offer a PackRat feature.) I decided to do a little experiment with 7zip to see how I could create my own SkyDrive Archive.
- First of all most of the cloud storage Giants have a file size upload limit, so we will need to break apart larger folders.
- Download 7zip Command Line Utility.
- Create a Folder Named Batch under your C:Drive.
- Place the 7Zip Download file in the C:Batch Folder.
- Also in the C:Batch folder make a new .txt document and save it as 7zip.bat.
- Paste the following text in the 7zip.bat document:
cd /D C:UsersUserOneDrive
for /d %%X in (*) do C:Batch7za9207za.exe u “F:Backups%%X.7z” “%%X” -y -mx9 -mmt -wf:temp
- Replaced the italicized C:SkyDrive with the path to your SkyDrive Folder.
- The %%X is a folder name wildcard. (So whatever the name is in the source folder, call it that in the destination folder.)
- Save and run the batch file!
- More helpful commands and their explanations can be found at the links below: